July is here, and ‘Make a Difference for Children Month’ is in full swing. Even though July is designated for this special cause, you can make a difference for children all year long. Here at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah, we strive to make our volunteer program one that makes a difference in children’s lives.
One million children are victims of abuse and neglect each year in the United States. Twenty thousand children age out of foster care, never having a place to call home while growing up. These are hardships many children face. Children are the future, and in their youth, they deserve the chance to feel seen, loved, and nurtured to their fullest potential. That is why making a difference month is so important to advocate. Getting the word out means making people aware of these circumstances, thus making them aware of how they can help make a difference. Through volunteer opportunities in Utah, you can make a difference in the life of a child.
Here are a few ways you can make a difference in the life of a child:
- Donate any old sports equipment you can find to sports gifts, a non-profit organization that provides sports equipment to children who can’t obtain it on their own. Big Brothers Big Sister of Utah accepts donations at our donation centers and bins throughout Utah as well.
- Learn about charities and offer to help them. Choosing a charity to support may help you learn the importance of giving.
- Volunteer at your local Ronald McDonald House Charity – a home for families to stay in a while their children are at the hospital getting treatments. Here you can help donate, make meals, or volunteer in planning activities to help them out during a difficult situation.
- Run a toy drive or donate to one to allow kids who can’t afford toys a chance to have some of their own.
- Learn about volunteer opportunities in Utah. There is a vast range of volunteer opportunities that take place throughout the state. You can find an opportunity suitable for your time and interest using a search engine.
- Become a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah. BBBSU is constantly looking for adult volunteers willing to mentor a local child. For more information on how to get involved, contact us at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah: Home