What It Takes
Be A Big
To complete STEP 1: Orientation , read through this page and complete the questionnaire at the end.
To create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
- Careful screening
- Thoughtful matching
- Thorough support of the mentoring match
Why we do the work we do
All of the kids waiting for a Big have situations in their lives that reduce the likelihood that they will thrive as adults.
- 80% are living in poverty
- 10% have an incarcerated parent
- 6% are from a refugee background
- 6% are living in foster care or in kinship care
A great mentoring relationship can balance some of the challenges kids face and ignite their potential.
The positive benefits of a Little having a mentor include:
- A positive adult role model who expands your world view
- Having new experiences and realizing other opportunities
- Promoting positive youth development
Qualifications & Expectations
You do not need special skills, a ton of money, or to know that you are “good with kids” you just need to be:
- Caring & consistent
- Willing to share time, ideas, new experiences
- Embrace differences
- Able to set and hold boundaries
Research shows that kids who have a strong relationship with their mentor have positive, lasting changes after 12 months.
- We ask all volunteer mentors to commit to their Little for at least 12 months.
- On average you will spend 6 to 8 hours mentoring per month.
*Please note* Adults charged with a DWI or DUI in the past 7 years are ineligible to volunteer as mentors in our programs.
If this volunteer opportunity seems like a good fit, please click “Continue Orientation” below to move to the next page and complete the questionnaire. It will take you approximately 10 minutes to complete and submit.
Click here to download a PDF synopsis of the orientation for reference as you complete the questionnaire.
After you submit the questionnaire…
You will move directly to Step 2: Application As soon as we receive it, we will email you a information on Step 3: Interview and Step 4: Online Training
Then give us a few weeks to process your enrollment and contact you to let you know if we’ve accepted you as a Big.